Friday, June 15, 2007

Wednesday - June 13, 2007

Today was an exciting day. At approximately 8:15am, I went to the IPOP to have blood drawn and was given IV fluids (due to an increased heart rate). Then Dr. Brodsky came by to see me to check how I was doing, watch me walk and check my balance. He gave me a big hug, too. I like the way he seemed so proud of me for finishing.



Next Marilyn and I went to the lab where my central line was removed. The removal was quite different from the placement, because I was awake the whole time (with 2 numbing injections). The PA's who removed my line were so comforting and wonderful, so it only hurt while the 2 needles for numbing were used. During the process, I agreed to have them cut enough to remove all of the line parts - to leave nothing behind. I didn't want the piece that held the catheter in place left in my body.



I was told that I could shower and change the bandage the next day. After a quick lunch, Marilyn and I went to the Outpatient Center to see Dr. Kerr. Dr. Edward Hammond stopped by (since he has been helping me from day one). Marilyn took our picture together and he gave me a list of what blood tests to have done each month until my first follow up appointment 3 months from nowand a proud hug. Also, Dr. Kerr came by to answer questions about my medications and the HiCy recovery process. He said if I had any questions or concerns after returning home that I should feel free to email him or call him. It feels great knowing that he will continue to follow me along and be there for me for whatever I need. He gave me a big hug and was happy to let Marilyn take our picture together. I can't imagine having any better doctors for this than Drs. Kerr and Brodsky. They are the absolute best in every way.



I'm so happy about going home to see my family and my dog, Teddy. Jessica is changing her plans after school tomorrow, just to be with me! I know my being away has been hard on everyone, especially Jess. During one of her weekend visits to Baltimore when she saw how much hair I had lost, she cried because I think she felt so sorry for me (since the hair loss made me look so ill). For now, I plan to always wear a hat or a wig so I look healthier, until the hair grows back.

No comments: