Tuesday, May 29, 2007

May 29, 2007

I cut myself shaving my legs today, just a tiny nick, but I forgot about the platelets needed for clotting. It took 10 minutes to stop the bleeding, but the tight double bandage did it (plus an elevated leg on a pillow and some help from Marilyn). It felt great to take my first shower since I started my hospitalization finally approved by IPOP nursing since my central line dressing was changed. Day 2 in IPOP was similar to day 1 with hydration, but I also needed a bleeding central line cleaned up. It was covered up nicely. The nurse gave me some great lotion for the itch around my neck. What a great change! Also, she switched my necklace holding the central line cord from the cheap metal to fabric. What a big difference in comfort level. The strangest thing today was that the root beer that I had with my lunch tasted like the greatest drink ever. It worked like pain medication; no kidding.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Joanie,

Ugh...your treatment sounds grueling and difficult. To your credit, you seem to be maintaining a good attitude about it all. Amazing!
I don't have your email, but wanted to ask if it would be possible for Greg to bring down a laptop for me to use while I'm down there. It'd be a big help for me to stay connected. Thanks.
love,
Marty

Joanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanne said...

Joanie - you are doing great - this blog is the best thing for you - not only therapy but a great first person update. i'm looking forward to seeing you on Sunday - and I'm bringing my laptop so blogging can be done anywhere and anytime =)
Gordie and Jessie are doing wonderful and are so much fun to be around - they are being very very brave!
~bunnihuggles~ - Joanne