Thursday, May 24, 2007

May 23, 2007

My central line was put in at the surgical suite and I didn't feel a thing. They gave me great drugs and I slept through it all. Now I'm in my hospital room and so happy to be here. Seriously, I am psychologically ready to start the chemo. Dr. Kerr and Dr. Hammond came by to see me (even though I'm officially admitted under hematology/oncology not neurology). It wasn't to examine me it was to visit and see how I was. They asked how my family was coping with all of this and talked about a variety of fun and interesting things. It feels great to not only have the smartest possible doctors on my case, but also to have them be so genuine and caring.

Dr. Brodsky came to see me to let me know that all the medication had been ordered to go along with the HiCy. The only problem is it took several hours for the pharmacy to make my special dose. So 8 hours after arriving in my hospital room, my central line is finally attached to the first phase of my infusion. For 2 hours, I got a bag of fluids to hydrate me, then I got a drug that coats the lining of my bladder (so it doesn't bleed away/a side effect of HiCy, which needs to be prevented rather than treated). After that I got the anti-nausea anti vomit meds shot into the central line. Then before midnight I got the first dose of the HiCy chemo. The only side effect I feel so far is a burning sensation in my nose, like when you get too much hot mustard at a Chinese Restaurant.

I don't expect to get much sleep tonight, my nurse has to observe me during the beginning of my first official dose of HiCy and keep waking me every couple of hours to make sure I'm OK.

2 comments:

John Hunneman said...

Following your progress here on the West Coast. Sound like you're getting great care.

Carl Lombardi said...

Got it, it sux. Following your progress, am very into it!
My sis in law is friend of yours (Anna Celata).

Hang In There, you know how worth it it is!

Carl